Friday, December 26, 2008

New year, new leaf

I've decided that I want to live a simpler life. I am going to quit my job.

I know times are hard and jobs are hard to come by. But I don't like the kind of mother and wife I have become. Dinner around here consist of canned soup and a grilled cheese. And my house is a mess. It's never company ready. We live in chaos around here. I go to work at 7:30 am and by the time I get home, it's 9:30 pm or later. I get off work and then pick my kids up from my mom's and we have to go straight to practices, ball games, or academic meets. It is so hectic! I just don't want to live like that anymore.

My husband and kids are beyond excited that I am quitting. I just hate to give up the extra money. But I know that I can make a few changes in our lifestyle and we won't even miss the money. I can start making dinners from scratch rather than using instant foods. For instance, I can make home made mac n cheese rather than buy the easy mac. And it will be healthier to boot! :) Just little changes like that and it will add up.

I also hope to have time to start working out. I have gained some extra holiday weight and I won't be able to get it off at the rate things are going now. But once I don't have to work, I won't have anything keeping me from getting a work out in each day. I am going to take it day by day and see the changes I can make in my life.

And who knows? I might even have time to start crafting again. I might even be able to make a few extra $$ off of it.

I have nothing but high hopes here. Say a prayer that I won't regret this decision.

5 comments:

♥ Jenn ♥ said...

Good luck with everything... I'd love to quit, but we'd never make it!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to be supportive here so I will say, good for you girl! but also I have to say that the grass is always greener on the other side and I have little pangs of guilt everytime I cant get my kids something, or I have to wait and "budget" Budgeting sucks! There, I said it! LOL
But good luck, I definitely like staying home, currently am looking for a job that lets me work the hours my kids are in school. So far, my window of work time is not something anyone wants. They want full time and thats it. I cant find a part time job to save my freaking life.
Sigh

Windy said...

I think you have made a great decision! There are great blogs out there by women with all kinds of advice and money saving tips. The thing that helps me the most is menu planning and sticking to it. I plan for 2 weeks at a time and make a list. That way I get everything in one trip and don't go 10 times during the week and spend more than I should. We only eat out once a week and we don't go to movies - we wait for the video (now it's only a couple of months, anyway). You will get a lot of slack from a lot of people, but not me! I am behind you 100%! You can do it! PS The first 6 months are the hardest!

- said...

Up here in Massachusetts we wouldn't be able to survive if i didn't work. it's just too expensive to live here on one job.

But if you can do it down there and still be financially stable...GO FOR IT! better yet, Take advantage of it!

Hugs

Terri said...

Monica...what in the world I thought I was following your blog...and then I clicked on your pic in someone elses comment and I wasn't and you had been updating..so sorry forgive me..you know I loves ya and wanna keep up with you and whats going on in your life!

What a great decision..praying that all goes well...

I would love to stay at home and I don't even have kids..is that a bad thing?..lol If we didn't have debt I could manage it I think...maybe someday... As much as I like to spend....I doubt it..lol

Wishing you all the best in 2009!

Hugs
Terri