Monday, January 12, 2009

My menu (so far)

Monday: (we had) Boneless BBQ pork ribs $7.39 for about 13 ribs.
$1.59 BBQ sauce
Left over potatoes from dinner last night
Box pasta salad $.99
*2 starches, I know... Uggh*


Monday total $9.97

Tuesday: Pinto Bean Soup w/ ham chunks
Corn bread pancakes (we call them fritters here in KY)
Beans $1.99
Ham FREE (frozen from Christmas)
Box of Jiffy Corn bread mix $.59
Fried Potatoes Probably about $2.00 worth (lol)

Tuesday total: $4.58


Wednesday: Chicken tacos (made in crockpot)

Chicken: $5.78 *boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders*
Taco seasoning pks 3/$.99
Burrito wraps $1.99
Lettuce, tomato, onion, sour cream, and shredded cheese $4.00

Wednesday total: $12.76

Thursday: Spaghetti & Meat sauce
Salad
Texas Toast garlic bread

Whole wheat spaghetti noodles $2.99
Jar of spaghetti sauce $2.99
Texas Toast $1.99/ box
Salad $4.00

Thursday total: $11.97

Friday: Don't quite know yet. LOL

I am fortunate to live in a place where the cost of living is low. We have a store here called Save A Lot. It mostly sells store brands. But my family is okay with store brands. We have a few things that we like the name brand of. But very few. We're not picky like that. Greg used to be when we first got married. He would only want velveta cheese (can't believe we used to eat that crap!). We were on a verrrrry tight budget. So I substituted it with the cheap store brand. I just kept the velveta box and I'd put the store brand in it. He never knew the difference. I did that for about 2 years! Seriously. Now he's not a food snob so much. LOL

I made this menu based on what I already had on hand. Next week, I will make my grocery list based on what is on my menu.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I need to get back into the swing of doing this..I work nights so my schedule is all screwed up LOL. It saves money to do it this way.

Terri said...

LOL@ you saving the velveeta cheese box and putting the store brand cheese in it..and hubby not knowing the difference! Sounds like something I would do..haha

We aren't picky either..whatever is on sale is what we go with...lately not alot is on sale seems like everything is going up in price..ugh! Almost pays us to eat out ..which we do once a week...sometimes twice...although I know it's not as healthy...

Your menu sounds delish though!

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

I need to do that too, figure out how much every meal we eat costs. I have a feeling its going to be more than yours, LOL Just because the cost of living here is so flipping HIGH. But still it would help to know what our meals cost since I am sahm too.
Good idea Monica!

Bridgett said...

I didn't know you were blogging here! I'm so sorry I haven't been here sooner.

Aggghhh. I feel like an idiot. I was sitting here, literally, watching the kids play Wii when it dawned on me what you'd written yesterday in that comment to me...that you wanted to link to my new blog in your next post! LOL

Duh, Bridgett, duh.

Anyway...please forgive my absence.

Very thrifty, you are, Mon!

And I'm cracking up about you putting the generic cheese in the brand name box. LMAO

XOXO

Easton wife said...

New to your blog, really like it! I have a new one should be under profile. I have been doing the same thing, trying to eat in more! Cassie